Sunday, April 5, 2009

That's a first...

I am a big idea type of person. I always have these crazy ambitions to create something spectacular. And it's always spectacular...in my head! Sometimes I don't portray the same view when the project is completed. You know the familiar excuse...."it didn't turn out how I pictured it in my head."

Well, I finally conquered my own personal "picture in my brain!" This project turned out better than I had originally planned.

My mom gave me 4 baskets, ranging in different sizes, with different items in them for one of my bridal showers...(a few years ago)! I have disliked them...sorry mom!...and almost gave them away to a local thrift store.

And then, the crafty revelation came:


So, I bought black spray paint at Wal-Mart (.97 cents) and fabric and elastic at Jo-Ann's ($12.50...after using a 50% coupon. I also had a $10 gift card.). My out-0f-pocket expense there was $2.50.


I spray painted the baskets, and sewed liners with elastic. ADORABLE!

Waa-lah!



I usually like doing a project during the Saturday sessions of conference. For some weird reason, I listen better. I wanted this project to be super cheap. I smiled because I was listening to Robert D. Hale's talk on living within our means and not buying things we couldn't afford...as I am creating something great for my home, while spending very LITTLE! (Now I need to go repent for being PROUD of myself!)

And the best of this project is...I got 4 baskets with liners and spent less than $5. I had oodles of fabric left over (I did the measurements in my head...never a good idea)....hhmm...that means another project coming on!

8 comments:

  1. What a great project!!! You could totally do a consulting-type thing - I know I look at beautiful projects like that and think, "I'd sure like to be able to do that, but what do I have that I could re-do?" What a talent for spotting projects and doing such a great job with them!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great!! I love the black and yellow print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had your crafty gene. You have such a talent! I'd love to use your decorating skills for....the HOUSE that we will be closing on and moving into in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right! THese are very cute! It's ok, be proud of yourself...you can always repent later...LOL. Just kidding! I need to make some liners for the baskets Andy gave me for Christmas so you will have to show me how you did it K!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice~and so useful! Where are these beauties gonna go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. are you ever going to stop being so darn crafty!! I love all your projects, the eggs, baskets, shelves, just call me jealous I guess. It was so good to see you yesterday...as always, you fed my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Those look really nice.

    I listened to that talk feeling pretty good, too. I had read a financial book during the week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, to have time to do anything other than school work! Your baskets look great! I loved confrence. Keep up the creative ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete