Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The curse of the last banana


It doesn't matter how big or small the bunch of bananas I buy, the last one or two NEVER get eaten. They sit so lonely on the counter as they turn to a "chocolate banana" as Maycie calls them. You can only make so much banana bread, right!?

Well, you are in luck today because I am going to share a recipe I inherited by marrying my husband...meaning it came from his mom for those of you that are slow....like me! My family LOVES these and they never last more than a day.

Banana Bars...or we like to call them "banana brownies"!

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 med. bananas
Nuts and/or chocolate chips: optional (we like using mini chocolate chips at our house)

Mix together and put in greased cookie sheet. Bake @ 375 for 15 minutes. Drizzle with banana glaze.

Glaze:
1/2 banana
2 tbsp. margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash salt

NOTE: If I only have 1 banana, I usually just half the recipe and put it in a half sized cookie sheet...so I use 3/4 banana for the batter, and 1/4 of the banana for the glaze.

ENJOY! The last banana will now become the best of the bunch!

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! We have that same problem with the last banana... or two. ;-) That recipe sounds SOOO good! :-) Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! That sounds yummy. I wonder what it would taste like with chocolate cream cheese frosting! FINE, I'll be the guinea pig and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These have been our favs since we were so little! And now isn't funny that they are my kids favs too! But I can never seem to keep the bananas long enough in my house to make them! So we have to eat them at Nanny's house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delish...I'm on weightwatchers now so maybe I'll try them later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you know I have chocolate bananas sitting on my counter wondering if I really want to make banana bread again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mandie!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. You always have good ones and so popular. YUM I made these and they were GONE like that. You're the best. Conrad and the kids are lucky to have u around.
    April

    ReplyDelete