Monday, April 20, 2009

Worth the wait...

I seen a shelf like this online...and instantly became envious and desiring one in my own home. Then, to make it worse, we went to some friends' home for a birthday party and she had one...JEALOUS!! On the car ride home, I grabbed a pen and paper and starting drawing out my plans. After saving a bit of money, purchasing the supplies MYSELF (note to self: not a good idea...definitely a man's job!), and informing the honey that he had a Saturday project (a big thanks to our friends for letting us use their garage and some tools), I finally received my shelf.

Once it was built, then came the fun part...painting it! This part took forever. I first painted it black, then sanded it, then black again, then lightly sanded it again, then I went for the creme color I wanted...sanded again. I repeated the last step about 6 times (trying to get something white that was once black...yikes!). Once I got the white look I wanted, I then sanded the edges to give it a distressed/antique look. This is where the first coats of black paint came in. Then...no I am not done yet...I put a stain on it then quickly wiped it off.


And, my favorite part...the pegs...oooh la la!
(Craft Warehouse...$3.99 each...so worth it!!!)


This project was an extremely long one...well worth the wait though. I was so excited to get it done.....and then I ran into a problem. The wall where I was going to hang it is too small. My second spot for it is also too small. So, it will have to wait for our house....that we are STILL looking for!!!

7 comments:

  1. WOW! You really have an eye for this stuff. You amaze me each time you post a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O no! Sorry it is too big for the spot you wanted it! It looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! It turned out way cute. I just may have to copy. Not anytime soon though cause I don't have anywhere to put it. I'm sorry it doesn't fit where you were planning. That is a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh now I'm jealous. Yours turned out GREAT! I love the painting... Maybe I'll redo mine soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, good luck on the house hunt. I am making a stash of plants that I want when I get a house someday too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is adorable! I love it! I am going to have to have my husband build me one! Sorry you have not place to put it!

    ReplyDelete