Thursday, August 13, 2009

Zucchini for dinner!

Too much zucchini floating around in the garden?

Need a different spin on it?

Try this for dinner:

Sloppy Joe Rotini

1 lb. ground beef
2 cups uncooked rotini pasta
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 cup water
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 can (15.5 oz) sloppy joe sauce

Cook beef, when browned, drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boil, reduce heat to medium. Cover & simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Done when pasta is tender. Serves 4.

And for Dessert:

Zucchini Brownies
(my family didn't even know there was zucchini in them!)

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup oil
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix and place in greased 13x9 cake pan. Bake @ 350 for about 25 minutes. Let cool. Frost with chocolate frosting (no recipe for this...I buy mine premade!).

And for breakfast the next morning:

Zucchini Muffins/Bread

3 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cup flour
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda

Mix and placed in desired pan. For muffins, bake @ 350 for about 20 minutes. For 2 large loaf pans, bake @ 350 for about 45 minutes.

NOTE: You can make these into brownies as well. Spread into a cake pan, bake, let cool, and then frost with cream cheese frosting! YUMMY!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, yummy I am going to have to make up some more zucchini brownies. Although that won't help my waist line. How is the packing, house moving going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like baking zucchini! I wish I had started a garden this year but I'm hoping next year. How's that house purchase coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandie! Thanks for posting recipes! I love your recipes. I know I never have to fear if they are going to be good, so I just make them. Last night I made the zucchini brownies. YUMMY!!! I brought them to work and they were a HIT! THanks.
    A great chocolate frosting recipe I found for them is:
    1 cube butter (softened)
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/3 C sour cream (i used low fat) (this makes it all blend well instead of milk)
    2/3 C cocoa ( i used sweetened cocoa and only 1/3 C to make it milk chocolate)
    Blend all ingredients until fluffy and smooth. Spread.
    YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mandi. I just had a dismal result using my mom's old recipe. She was known for adjusting the recipe and I should have known. lol...for some reason she had 1 1/2 cups flour instead of 3. I'll use this one next time.

    ReplyDelete